Remarketing aka Retargeting aka Awesome!
How often are you shopping for something online and then start to see it EVERYWHERE for the next week? For example when you are reading articles on a completely different topic, scrolling through your Facebook, or even playing games on your phone, it can feel like you are being followed! Well frankly, you are, but it’s not as sinister as it sounds. For many people I know, this Minority-Report-esque level of customization brings with it feelings of exposure, vulnerability and a general distrust of “Big Brother”. For myself, however, I freaking love it! I think it is everything awesome about digital marketing, so I am going to spend the next 400 words trying to convince you of what a modern marvel this really is!
Remarketing (also known as retargeting) is a newer method of online advertising that allows businesses to show ads specifically to people who have already been on their website. Most of us don’t purchase something the very first time we research it online. This is a way for those companies whom we considered to keep their brand in our mind. Here’s how it works:
- Websites across the web – from personal blogs to mega sites – sell blank space on their pages to ad networks.
- In the meantime, business owners place a small, unobtrusive piece of code in their website.
- When you visit one of these websites with the code, it leaves an anonymous cookie in your browser. (Emphasis on anonymous.)
- Later, as your browse the web, the cookie triggers ad networks to show you a matching ad in the ad space that was purchased in Step One.
Ok, now that we’ve got the nerdy details out of the way, here are the benefits for us consumers who are being targeted:
- Simpler Ads: because you have already been to the website the ads don’t have to tell you everything about the company or product. You already know. It’s more like a 2nd or 3rd conversation than an introduction.
- More Interesting, Relevant Ads: Retargeting makes the ad more relevant. Not only is the ad from a website you have recently visited, but, if done well, often shows the same or similar products to those you want. (Plus, let’s face it, that ad space is going to be sold to someone – might as well be something you are actively shopping for!)
- Clues Us In To The Best Brands: Knowing what I know about marketing, I immediately give extra credibility to any company who remarkets to me. I assume they are business-savvy, tech-savvy, and spending their ad dollars efficiently so as to pass savings on to me. This might be a little generous on my part, but I challenge you to test my theory. So far, it’s working!
Finally, if you are reading this as a business owner or marketing professional and are interested in learning more, we would love to chat! As Google Partners, our digital marketing team is trained in the best practices, methods, and strategies for implementing remarketing campaigns on the world’s largest display advertising network! We would love to help you become the next business/brand that uses remarketing to take your marketing to the next level. Give us a call at (301) 663-6000 or contact us by email!Tags: adwords, pay-per-click, Remarketing, Retargeting